Our everyday activities of walking, standing and running produce stresses and strains on our body, more specifically to our feet. An imbalance in our feet forces our feet, knees, hips, back, spine and neck to be out of alignment and produce poor function resulting in pain. To improve body alignment, the foot imbalance must be corrected as a result there would be decreased pain and improved foot and body function.
QWhat are Custom Orthotics?
Custom orthotics are medical foot devices made specifically for your feet. A casting is done of your feet to create an exact foot print. This device is then inserted into your footwear to support or correct your foot function.
When appropriately created and prescribed custom orthotics can:
- Decrease foot pain, align foot function
- Decrease pain in other parts of the body such as neck, back (upper, mid and lower), hip, knee and ankle pain
- Prevent feet from developing additional foot problems
- Increase stability in weak joints throughout the body
QWho can Benefit from Orthotics?
- People who have painful foot problems and those who have injuries to their feet
- People that have jobs where they must walk or stand for long hours
- Correcting children who have a foot deformity and supporting a growing foot
- Seniors who have arthritis in their neck, back, hip, knees, ankles and feet can benefit
- Athletes in any sport who are looking to increase strength, performance and endurance
- Orthotics can help overweight individuals in supporting the extra stress on the feet
QHow are Custom Orthotics made?
At pureBalance Wellness · Cancer Care our trained Chiropractor , will take a foam impression of the patient’s foot in a “neutral” position and send it to a laboratory with the direction for correction. At the orthotic laboratory, the orthotic technicians take the mold and pour plaster into it, after it hardens essentially the mold copies the individual’s foot. To custom-make the orthotic medical device to meet every patients foot needs, the technicians takes direction from the chiropractic doctors requests.
QMany Types of Custom Orthotics, which one is right for you?
There are many different types of custom orthotics available:
- Sport specific orthotics designed for use in running/walking shoes
- ski boots
- golf shoes
- court shoes
- Sandals come with the orthotic built into the footwear
- Dress shoes need a thinner orthotic
- Orthotics designed for arthritis and diabetes
- Orthotics for heel spurs and plantar fasciitis
- Orthotics for bunions
Talk to us about what type of custom orthotic would best suit your needs! Book your appointment today with our Chiropractic Doctor so you can have your orthotics custom fitted.