Our health practitioners at pureBalance Wellness · Cancer Care are highly trained and registered Bowen Therapists. Our health care providers have a combined 20 years Bowen Therapy experience.
QWhat is Bowen Therapy?
Bowen Therapy is a ‘head-to-toe’ physical treatment that promotes self-healing and benefits for all ages and stages in life. Bowen treatments signal the body to reset painful muscles, joints, nerves and tendons restoring them to their original blueprint of health thereby addressing pain, postural complaints, injuries and rebalancing of other systems.
With Bowen Therapy, the patient lies on a table fully clothed, while the therapist applies a specifically located series of gentle movements across the body. The movements are composed of a challenge to a body of muscle, tendon or nerve and a release of the tension vibrates through to the nerve and muscle. The result is a balancing of the structure and functional systems, but also at the level of the individual’s overall well-being. Bowen Therapy treats beyond the presented symptoms and positively affects the physical, chemical, emotional and mental aspects of each person during the treatment, but most importantly for many days after.
What to Expect During a Bowen Treatment:
In a Bowen Therapy session:
- The patient lies on a therapeutic table, wearing loosely fitting clothing, and relaxes, while the therapist applies gentle but specific pressure movements across the body.
- Appointments are usually scheduled a week apart to allow the treatment to effect the body in a positive way. The therapy can last many days.
- 3 treatments are recommended to initiate the Bowen process.
- Most of the time the 3 treatments will give a clear idea as to how the body is healing.
- A sense of deep relaxation is the end result of a Bowen treatment. This deeply relaxed state, acts upon the body’s autonomic nervous system, which creates homeostasis at the cellular level. It is up to the individual’s body to be freed to find its own natural balance.
- During the actual treatment session, the therapist leaves the room between the application of each pattern in the series so as to allow the patient the maximum space to fully achieve the deepest relaxant effects and to avoid interfering with the patient’s energetic realignment.
- Each Bowen treatment usually last one hour. Often no more than two to five sessions are required for the treatment of most conditions.
- Treatments will generally be scheduled at 7-day intervals.
As a complementary treatment, Bowen can be used to enhance the benefits of other modalities. Homeopathy, homotoxicology, biotherapeutic drainage and clinical nutrition can be especially beneficial when used in conjunction with Bowen. However, certain alternate modalities like massage and chiropractic care will usually counteract the Bowen’s action. NOTE: If you plan to combine Bowen with any other modality, please be sure to discuss an appropriate treatment schedule with your Bowen therapist.
Understanding Bowen Therapy
Any time someone is introducing a new technique there is always the temptation to compare it to other, perhaps already known, techniques. However, to have a clearer idea of what’s unique about the Bowen Therapy, it is best for us to tell you what it isn’t:
- Bowen is not Massage.
- Bowen is not Acupressure.
- Bowen is not Chiropractic.
- Bowen is not Directional “Energy Work.”
- Bowen is not Physiotherapy or Neuromuscular “Re-Education.”
- Bowen in not Trigger-Point Therapy.
- Bowen is not Fascia Release.
- Bowen is not Lymphatic Massage.
- Bowen is not an Emotional Release Modality.
Bowen Therapy is safe to use on anyone, from the newborn, pregnant woman and the elderly, as there are no high velocity manipulations employed in this therapy. Bowen Therapy achieves fast and lasting relief from a wide spectrum of conditions. To find out more about Bowen Therapy, book a FREE 15 minute consultation with our trained Bowen Therapists, Contact us via email or call 905-891-3865.
Conditions Treated by Bowen Therapy
The restorative effects of Bowen have a wide range of applications. Through clinical experience the following conditions can show substantial improvement with a Bowen Therapy:
Back Pain – Chronic and Acute
Frozen Shoulder & Pain
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Leg Length Discrepancies
Foot and ankle problems
Knee and hip restrictions
RSI / OSS
Conditions Treated by Bowen Therapy (Con’t)
Pre Menstrual Syndrome
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Bed Wetting in Children
Earache and Ear infections