Healthy Eating While You Travel – Part 2 – Lunch<dataavatar hidden data-avatar-url=https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/bb278b3f8fe04bd3f9ad8f5e260111c8?s=96&d=mm&r=g></dataavatar>
HEALTHY EATING WHILE YOU TRAVEL: PART 2 – LUNCH
The word ‘tapas’ is synonymous with Spanish cuisine and every visitor to Spain wants to ‘go for tapas’. While traveling in Spain I had the opportunity to enjoy tapas for lunch. A ‘tapa’ is not a type of food, but a way of eating food. More specifically, a tapa is a small dish of something edible. By choosing tapas in Spain, our lunches were small, healthy and light. Let’s discuss how to choose lunch while you travel.
When you travel, many lunches will be at a restaurant. Don’t spend too much time at fast food restaurants; instead visit full-service restaurants that offer many more options.
Healthy eating in restaurants:
- Order a salad and add chicken or fish to make it your main course.
- Split a meal with your travel partner. Most restaurants serve large portions, travel with a light stomach.
- Choose foods that are prepared with healthier methods like broiling, boiling or steaming.
- Try to eat a lot of vegetables while you travel, it will keep you regular on your vacation.
- Choose fruit; avoid sugary dessert which will make you feel sleepy.
- Don’t super-size your meal.
- Try to keep your sandwich eating to a minimum, too many sandwiches means eating more bread then necessary.
I hope you find some helpful lunch travel tips. Have a safe trip.
Dr Elias Markou, ND
Dr. Markou ND is also known as the Detox Doctor and he wants you to rethink detox, so you can unclog your mind, body and spirit the natural way. Dr. Markou is a firefighter turned certified Naturopathic Doctor (ND), Registered Holistic Nutritionist (RHN) and a Registered Acupuncturist (R Acu.). Since graduating from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in 2003, his passion has been helping others get their health back with natural medicine, alternative therapies and detoxification. In 2008, he conceptualized and founded pureBalance Wellness Cancer Care in Mississauga, Ontario, and in 2014 became the Medical Director of Cyto-Matrix, a Canadian natural health products company. He is also an International Speaker, runs corporate wellness programs and is the Chief Medical Officer of the Halton Hills Fire Department. The son of two once-famous restaurateurs, you can often find him whipping up a zesty guacamole for his family when he’s not sharing practical tips for natural health and preventative wellness online and on stage.
Join our Health-Minded Community
Subscribe to our newsletter to get healthy lifestyle tips and stay informed about upcoming events and clinic news like monthly promotions.