The Heart is an amazing organ, it pumps to keep our body alive. It seems as Canadians we are paying a lot of attention to this key organ in the body. In our quest to maintain a healthy heart, here are five tips that will keep the heart strong.
1) Know your Numbers. Know your blood pressure and your cholesterol numbers, high blood pressure and cholesterol numbers increase the risk of heart attacks by 25 percent. Check your blood pressure at least once a week and cholesterol twice a year.
2) Stop smoking and drinking. Alcohol and cigarettes increase the risk of a heart attack and stroke. Alcohol is a know factor that can increase blood pressure in the body.
3) Exercise. Aerobic exercise helps improve muscle mass, more specifically it can strengthen the heart and decrease the risk of heart disease.
4) Heart Supplementation. There are amazing studies that demonstrate fish oil, phytosterols, coenzyme Q10 and soy isoflavones are all heart friendly.
5) Healthy diet. Foods high in antioxidants helps maintain healthy hearts. Antioxidants prevent blood vessel walls from hardening.
Educating people on how to maintain a healthy heart is our priority. By delivering the right information, this allows people to make the best choices. Make a healthy heart your priority.
Dr Elias Markou, ND