It is important that you and your family be prepared for the Cold and Flu Season. In preparing for this Flu Season a 2014 flu vaccine has been developed and will become available to the general public starting October. This vaccination has raised many questions and concerns amongst the general public. In a recent survey conducted by Strategic Counsel for The Globe and Mail and CTV approximately 53% of Ontarians say that they will not get the Flu Vaccine.
Last year, Canadians spent more than $150 million on supplements to boost immunity and help ward off colds and the flu. Research is showing us that many are turning away from the over-the-counter medicines and moving towards natural cold and flu remedies, like vitamin C, zinc, echinacea, and others. We are managing the cold and flu differently, people are self prescribing which can be ineffective or even dangerous, we recommend a visit to your naturopathic doctor and get the right program for you.
Clearly, the public is divided in its opinion about the flu vaccine available from Health Canada. As a naturopathic doctor, and prevention care specialist, naturopathic medicine offers many preventative measures for strengthening the immune system. We strongly believe that if you choose either option regarding vaccination, alternative preventative measures should be taken. We have outlined some preventative measures as well as our action plan for a naturopathic flu clinic.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds
- Stay away from sugar and simple carbohydrates, which reduce immune activity
- Drink plenty of water and keep hydrated
- Ensure adequate sleep and rest to ensure your immune system is at its best
- Gargle nightly with salt water
What You Will Get at our Naturopathic Flu Clinic:
- Vitamin Immune Booster Shot – (This boosts the immune system in general with no side effects) 6 Injections required over 6 months. Onsite treatment. Covered by most insurance plans. ($240+HST) ( This does not include Naturopathic Doctors billable time per visit)
- Vitamins, Minerals, Botanical or homeopathic therapies to fight the infection.
- Specific supplements, based on individual signs and symptoms, to increase the body’s ability to fight the infection and to restore balance to the body.
- Strict dietary changes to support immune function, maximize nutrients and increase the effective role of the digestive tract in immunity.
TAKE ACTION by contacting our clinic, your other primary health care provider or TeleHealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 as soon as you start to feel the first signs of illness.